Dr. Edward Southern, MD – the only American pediatric spine and trauma physician in China. Dr. Southern’s United States training, experience, and expertise in a wide scope of orthopaedics is exceptional in Asia.
A long-time Clinical Professor of Orthopedic Surgery (focused on children and adults and both spine and trauma), Dr. Southern has taught advanced orthopedic surgery to medical students, residents and fellows at several American academic centers and has traveled and lectured to surgeons all over the world.
A Board-Certified Orthopedic Surgeon with the American Board of Orthopedic Surgery, Dr. Southern studied medicine at Baylor College of Medicine and performed his orthopedic residency and a postdoctoral biomechanics research fellowship at Yale University.
His clinical postgraduate fellowship training in pediatric and adult spine surgery was performed at the prestigious Chicago Spine Institute at Rush Medical Center and the Shriners Hospital, followed by a traveling fellowship to France, the SRS traveling fellowship and a second clinical fellowship in pediatric orthopedics at Orthopedic Hospital Los Angeles and the University of California Los Angeles.
An accomplished orthopedic trauma surgeon, Dr. Southern has served two active duty tours with the U.S. Army Medical Corp in Iraq and Germany with rank of Lieutenant Colonel, and he has practiced and taken call at Level I and Level II trauma centers for most of his career.
- Medical Degree at Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, Texas
- Orthopedic residency at Yale University
- Spine fellowship at Rush Medical Center
- Fellowship in pediatric orthopedics at UCLA
- He has been an assistant and associate professor of Orthopedics at the Medical College of Wisconsin, Michigan State University and Louisiana State University.
- A combat experienced trauma specialist, served two active duty tours with the U.S. Army Medical Corp in Iraq and Germany with rank of Lieutenant Colonel